Veneers are popular and you can see them on a great majority of celebrities, but you may still have questions about this cosmetic dentistry treatment. Versatile, durable, and utterly transforming – in a great way – porcelain veneers are able to correct a number of cosmetic complaints at one time while giving you a beautiful new white smile.
What problems do porcelain veneers fix?
If only there were one dentistry treatment that could correct all the cosmetic issues you have at one time. Guess what? There is – porcelain veneers are able to fix:
- Misshapen teeth
- Short teeth
- Superficial cracks
- Uneven teeth
- Worn teeth
What are the benefits of porcelain veneers?
Because veneers are so versatile, the benefits are many, but there are plenty of other perks that make this cosmetic dentistry treatment so popular:
- Functional: No matter what kind of procedures you have done to your teeth, it’s critical that they function properly. Porcelain veneers look and feel natural so that you can chew, eat, and speak comfortably.
- Durable: Porcelain veneers are contact-lens thin, but they are also incredibly strong so that they are resistant to chips and breaks. Veneers can strengthen your natural teeth while enhancing your smile.
- Long–lasting: Porcelain veneers can last for over 15 years if you take care of them and keep up with appointments for your twice yearly dental exams and cleanings.
- Versatile: Porcelain veneers are so incredibly versatile they are able to correct multiple aesthetic complaints at one time to create a stunning new smile.
- Look younger: Any cosmetic dentistry treatment that transforms your look so completely as porcelain veneers also has the ability to make you look younger. The veneers themselves will help plump your lips a bit and eliminate a few fine lines and wrinkles around the mouth, while the white smile on your face will make you look happier and healthier.
What are porcelain veneers made of?
Porcelain veneers are made with an incredibly thin ceramic and are customized to fit over the front of your teeth. When you use the highest quality porcelain, the teeth are carefully shaded so that they echo the color of your real tooth enamel and look completely natural. This element of the veneers is very important – you want the dental porcelain to react to light just like healthy tooth enamel so that they look like real teeth and not a cosmetic enhancement.
How long does it take to get porcelain veneers?
In most cases, you will need two visits to the dentist to complete your porcelain veneers treatment. The prep appointment and the application appointment. While this may seem like an inconvenience, the treatment is actually done rather quickly, especially if you’re seeking a straight smile. For example, Invisalign is amazing and it will give you the straight smile you want too, but it takes months to complete. Veneers not only straighten your smile, they whiten, brighten, lengthen, and perfect it.
How does the dentist apply porcelain veneers?
First, an impression will be taken of your teeth so that a mold can be created. This allows both you and the dentist to envision what your smile will look like once the veneers have been put in place. A dental lab then creates customized porcelain veneers for your smile and, after a few weeks, you will return to your Manhattan cosmetic dentist to have the veneers bonded in place.
Before anything permanent occurs, however, your dentist will ensure that you are happy with the size, shape, color, and translucency of your veneers. Once it has been confirmed that the veneers look just right, they will be bonded to the front surface of each tooth using tooth-colored cement. Some teeth must undergo a prep treatment in order to be in the right condition for the veneers to be placed – this can include light sanding and a dental cleaning.
When the veneers have been applied to your teeth, they are shaped and adjusted so that they are complementary to your features. Once you are happy with the appearance of the veneers, your dentist will harden the cement and permanently bond the veneers to your teeth, then make sure your bite is comfortable and your teeth function properly.
Is it hard to clean porcelain veneers?
Veneers should be brushed and flossed just like your natural teeth once they are securely bonded in place. Doing this daily will ensure that your veneers stay healthy and clean. There is no special cleaning product and no particular cleaning tools needed to keep your veneers looking good. But do be sure to keep your twice annual dental appointments for a professional cleaning and exam.
Want to know more about porcelain veneers?
Make an appointment with Manhattan cosmetic dentist Dr. Sandip Sachar or Dr. Katherine Wong at Sachar Dental in Midtown to get the answers to all of your questions about porcelain veneers. Find out if this cosmetic dentistry treatment is the right solution for you.